Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Black and White Amazingly Amazing Butterfly Card

Hi!  Happy Wednesday!  Today's card was created for a Black & White Wow Card Swap I participated in recently.  I knew I wanted to create a card using the Butterflies Thinlits Dies, and challenged myself to figure out how to use the die cut to get the shape of the butterfly without cutting out all the pieces inside, so I could create butterflies that look like this without fussy cutting the bottom white layer:



The solution that I came up with was to use my Multipurpose Platform (no tabs removed), with some old (well loved) plates, and wax paper (but no dryer sheets underneath the card stock . . . that's great for when you want to remove the small pieces, not good if you don't!).  Then, I carefully moved my white butterflies to a piece of waxed paper, and covered them with a layer of Crystal Effects, to help make sure that those little pieces didn't fall out.  The Crystal Effects also provided a great opportunity to add some sparkle -- I sprinkled a bit of Dazzling Diamonds over it!  Then, I added the die cut Basic Black butterflies on the top.

So, with butterflies done, it was time to figure out the rest of the card!  I decided to cut a "window" in a layer of Whisper White and a layer of Basic Black.   I embossed the Whisper White layer using the Spring Flowers Textured Impressions Embossing Folder.  I brayered Basic Black classic ink over the embossed image.

The background flowers and "Amazingly Amazing" greeting from the Painted Petals stamp set were stamped using Basic Black ink on a piece of Whisper White under that:



I added one of the Something Borrowed Embellishments to the butterfly's body as a finishing touch.

Here's a close up of the finished butterfly:




Supplies Used (click links to see the products listed in Stampin' Up!'s online store):

Stamps:  Painted Petals Photopolymer set (also available in clear and wood mount)
Ink:  Basic Black Classic Ink
Paper:  Whisper White and Basic Black Card Stock
Accessories:  Butterfly Thinlits Die, Spring Flowers Folder, Something Borrowed Embellishments, Oval Framelits, Crystal Effects, and Dazzling Diamonds

Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

- Michelle

2 comments:

CraftyJAR said...

Beautiful card Michelle. Love the technique you used on that butterfly, thanks for the tips.
Judy

Anonymous said...

Michelle, this is gorgeous! You're a genius to figure out the solid layer.

Connie S