Monday, May 14, 2012

With a Cherry on Top!

Hope you had a wonderful weekend and Mother's Day!  We had a good weekend despite some sniffles going around the family . . . in fact, my littlest guy was home from school today with sniffles.  He's already doing much better . . . so, fingers crossed, we'll be back to our regular routine tomorrow!  Somehow, though, I still managed to get a card made today -- and even more shocking, I've already taken a photo and have it ready to share!

I've been wanting to do one of Mary Jo Price-Williams's Sketch Challenges for a while, and I'm so excited, I made my card with her fun sketch today!  Hope you'll check out the challenge and play along, too!

Here's the card I created:


I used a mix of retiring, returning and sneak peek projects on this one.

The card base is Wisteria Wonder card stock (this is one of the returning In Colors).  I used scraps from the retiring Berry Blossoms paper for the strips along the top of the layout.  Underneath those, I used a strip of Basic Black punched out with the Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border Punch.

To create the cupcake, I used some sneak peek products -- the new Apothecary Accents framelits.  I'd originally planned to layer them a bit differently, but as I was moving the pieces around, saw the cupcake shape emerge and decided to go with it!  The frosting is cut out of Whisper White, and the base from Basic Black.  The accent behind them is cut from Calypso Coral (another returning In Color).  The greeting is stamped in Calypso Coral and Basic Black using a stamp from a sneak peek hostess set called A Cherry on Top.  I used Dazzling Details around the cupcake and on top of the Basic Black ink to give the cupcake's frosting a bit of sparkle.

I punched the cherry out of Calypso Coral, using the 1/2" Circle Punch.  I sponged it with Poppy Parade (retiring In Color) and added a bit of Real Red Dazzling Details along the edge.  A little hard to see, but there is a piece of Lucky Limeade Organdy Ribbon from the Sale-a-Bration Everyday Enchantment Pack for the cherry's stem.

For a final finishing touch, I added a Calypso Coral Ruffled Ribbon bow.

Hope you like this one, and hope you'll play along with this fun sketch challenge!  Look forward to seeing what you create!

- Michelle


Here's the link to click if you'd like to join.

1 comment:

MJ said...

What a fun way to make the cupcake! I think this is a great stamp set, can't wait to use mine. I love the combination of supplies you used. Awesome birthday card! Thanks so much for playing along with my sketch challenge this week!