Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Hello, Glimmer Snowflakes!

I had great fun putting this card together for a swap with my awesome and talented friend Marlene!  The challenge for this one was to make a Christmas card, but I decided I wanted to use non-traditional colors, make it a shaker card using the cool Mica Flakes and Shaker Frames from the Holiday Mini, and play with some Silver Glimmer Paper!  This card also qualifies for this week's challenge over at Late Night Stampers, which is to make a project with snow.  It's snow much fun, you should play along, too!  (Sorry about the pun, couldn't resist!)  Here is my card:


Do you like the soft colors?  I used Baja Breeze for the base and for the layer that is embossed with the new Snow Burst Embossing Folder (a little hard to tell, but I sponged over the embossing with Whisper White Craft ink to give it an even softer, more snow-like look).  The pink accents are Pretty in Pink pieces, die cut with the Tasteful Trim die.

Here's a closer view of the stamped image in the shaker frame:


This is the little girl from the Gift Givers stamp set.  I colored her in using Watercolor Wonder Crayons.  Hard to tell from the photo, but I also went over the snowbank in the background and the falling snowflakes with a Versamarker, then applied Irridescent Ice Embossing Powder, and heat set it.  So, between that and the Mica Flakes, there's plenty of snowy sparkle in there!

The snowflake accents along the left side of the card were created using Silver Glimmer Paper and the Northern Frost die.  I had read in a discussion on Late Night Stampers that it is easier to die cut the Glimmer Paper if you remove the white paper backing first, and that definitely worked for me.  I also colored one of the snowflakes by pushing it into a Regal Rose ink pad . . . it is a very subtle effect, but I was pleased to find out it worked.  I've since seen a great technique (from a fellow member of Late Night Stampers) to achieve a brighter look . . . you can check it out on Sharon's blog here.



I finished off my snowflakes with a Rhinestone Jewel in the center of each.  I also couldn't resist adding some Whisper White Organza to the card. 

Thanks for stopping by!

- Michelle

2 comments:

Cathie Rigby said...

This is such a beautiful card. Love the embossed snowflakes and color. TFS CAthie

Anonymous said...

Love...love...love this beautifuy shaker card, Michelle! The colors are outstanding and the card is so well done. TFS! Marlene Caravello